My husband and I have been building our New “Old” Farmhouse for five years now. We have just been taking our time and saving money. I’ve documented the entire build on my Instagram and I will be sharing blog posts on all the particulars in case you’d like to do what we did. You can follow along HERE.
If you’re considering buying land and building, here’s a few tips:
- Find the land and purchase it
- Pay it off. Hustle, Buckle Down, Do whatever it takes to pay it off prior to building.
- Design your plans while you are paying your land off. Sketch it out and then take it to a Plan Designer. They are cheaper than architects and they can have an engineer seal the drawings. You can also purchase plans online.
- SAVE. SAVE. SAVE – Tell everyone you are busy when they ask you to go do something LOL. I’m being serious and true friends and family will understand later ha ha. I can’t stress this enough.
- Stay with a family member or buy an RV and live in it while you’re on this journey. Think of all the fun adventures you will have.
- Congratulations! You’ve paid off your land. Doesn’t it feel good to own something?
- Start building that dream home! Take your time and pay for things as you can. This is a journey and something I learned through our process was to be patient.
Stay tuned for some fun and useful BUILDING TIPS, TRICKS AND MESS-UPS that we learned along the way. I’m working on gathering data and forms for anyone that would love to stay organized and make your building process smooth.