If you grew up like me, then you probably had cornbread once a week with your meal. Cornbread was a staple in our home. This recipe is my MawMaw Goodall’s. I hope you enjoy this old fashioned southern cornbread as much as my family does.
What is Cornbread?
Cornbread is basically made with cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and of course, buttermilk. The buttermilk is what makes my maw maw’s recipe moist. Some cornbread can be dry. If you add about a cup, you’ll get a wonderful old fashioned southern cornbread, just like granny made.
How To Make Cornbread
Cornbread is so easy to make. Rule #1 is this – You have to use a cast iron skillet. It really isn’t cornbread if you don’t haha.
- Rule #2 – Use real cornmeal. I used to use that little blue/white box years ago and it’s just not good for us. I grind my own cornmeal using non-gmo corn. It’s super easy to do. Learn how to grind your own HERE.
- Next, you’ll combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Start with a cup of the buttermilk and the egg. Whisk together.
- Add more buttermilk if needed. The consistency of the batter should resemble pancake batter.
- Melt the butter in your iron skillet and pre-heat in the oven for 5 minutes. This step can’t be skipped.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes. When the top of the cornbread is brown, then it’s done. Cut into wedge slices and enjoy!
Old Fashioned Southern Cornbread
- 1 Cup Cornmeal (I grind my own)
- 1/2 Cup Flour (I use fresh-milled) * You can also use all-purpose
- 1 Tsp Pink Salt
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Coconut Sugar (Optional)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Next, add the buttermilk and whisk together.
- Add more buttermilk, as needed. The consistency should resemble pancake batter.
- Melt the butter in the iron skillet for five minutes in the oven.
- Pour the batter in the hot skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- When the top of the cornbread is brown, then it’s all done. Slice into wedges and enjoy!
A Quick Snippet on How I Grind My Cornmeal
Watch the Entire Video in My Highlights on Instagram
Click on the “BreadBeckers” Highlight on my profile HERE.
What Does Old-Fashioned Southern Cornbread Go With?
Cornbread goes with so many meals. It’s the perfect addition to those southern country comfort foods. Here are a few things I love fixing a pan of cornbread with:
- Old-fashioned Ham and Bean Soup
- Pinto Beans
- Classic Homemade Chili
- Pork Roast, Southern Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes
Shop Real Salt HERE.
Tools You May Need
- Serve your cornbread hot, right out of the oven with butter and/or honey.
- To store, place either in a ziploc bag or leave in your skillet and cover with foil.
- To warm up, place a damp paper towel around a slice and microwave for 20-30 seconds. You can also wrap several pieces in foil and heat up in the oven.
I hope you enjoy my maw maw’s old-fashioned southern cornbread recipe. Tag me on Instagram if you make it and I’ll share it.
Leave a Reply