I started making my own mix about eight years ago and it only has three simple ingredients. I’m not one to eat a lot of sweets but a good cup of healthy homemade hot chocolate never stopped me!
This recipe is so creamy and I use only real ingredients. Do not feel guilty one bit because it’s good for you! Ok, so in moderation anything is good for you, right? For added goodness, I also top it with my homemade whipped cream and I shave a little bit of a Lily’s chocolate bar shaved on top. They have several flavors that would be yummy!
Ingredients For Healthy Hot Chocolate
COCOA – You have to start with good cocoa and of course healthy cocoa. HERE is one I love!
COCONUT SUGAR – I haven’t bought the “white stuff” in about 14 years. My go-to sweetener is this Coconut Sugar from Amazon.
PINK REAL SALT – The key to obtaining rich trace minerals is in the salt. You can’t just buy any sea salt. I love this one from Redmond. I buy mine in bulk.
MILK – I only buy raw milk from a local farmer when available or my favorite in the store in Organic Valley. I love their values and feel good giving their products to my family.
VANILLA BEANS – Vanilla is by far my “secret” ingredient in pretty much any baked good I make. It all starts with the beans. I am a firm believer in using Madagascar beans. Making your own vanilla will be so rewarding and will last you quite a while.
SHAVED CHOCOLATE – You can’t have an amazing cup of hot chocolate without topping it with something yummy. My absolute favorite is the Lily’s Chocolate Bar. I buy the Original or the Almond but any of their flavors would be great on top. They are made with stevia, so none of the bad white sugar.
Pin For Later
So, without further ado, here is this yummy recipe. It’s perfect for in the morning with breakfast or sitting around in the evening watching a good movie!
Healthy Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/4 cups Organic Cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups Coconut Sugar
- 1 tbsp Pink "Real" Salt
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients above, stir and store in a quart size mason jar. This mix will yield about 50 cups of hot chocolate and will take you right through winter.
To Make The Hot Chocolate:
- For individual servings, pour 1 cup of Organic/Raw Milk into a saucepan.
- Add 2 TBS of the Hot Chocolate Mix and 1-2 tsp of homemade vanilla to the pan.
- Whisk together over medium heat, until dissolved. Be careful not to let the milk boil.
- Top with my homemade whipped cream (see recipe below) and chocolate shavings.
- To make multiple cups, just multiply the individual serving by how many cups you need to make.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 Pint of Organic/Raw Heavy Cream
- 1-2 tbsp of Coconut Sugar
- 1-2 tsp of Homemade Vanilla
- Pour the entire carton of cream in a bowl along with the sugar and vanilla.
- Beat on low for a few minutes and then increase the speed.
- It may look like it's taking forever to get that "whipped" look, but it's coming. Keep mixing until you see wonderful light peaks.
- Note: Oh, and make sure you use the wire whisk attachment if you are using a standup mixer like Kitchenaid.
- This is the creamiest and most healthy whipped cream I've ever had. You will never go back to store brands once you make this. I promise and your family will love it!
- You can certainly use other sweeteners but I can’t give my opinion on them as I have only used coconut sugar.
- I have also made whipped cream using my handheld mixer.
Making homemade Hot Chocolate takes a little extra time, but knowing that you are giving your family wholesome ingredients outweighs the time involved. Plus, you can make it together as a family and make some memories!
Enjoy and stay warm!